GREK - Global X FTSE Greece 20 ETF

Started by Stephanos, December 10, 2011, 10:25:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephanos

A Greek ETF Launch... No Joke, Even If It Should Be! (NBG, CCH, GREK)

Posted: December 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

Up until today, U.S. investors could only invest in (or short sell) the ADRs of National Bank of Greece S.A. (NYSE: NBG), Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company S.A. (NYSE: CCH), or a handful of shipping ADRs for a theme around Greece.  No more... Global X Funds is launching the Global X FTSE Greek ETF (NYSE: GREK).

The company noted, "Whether bullish or bearish, this new ETF allows investors to take a viewpoint on the recent news coming out of Greece."  Guess which way the bulk of the bets will be.  The release has also noted, "While there is no guarantee that the Greek economy will recover to previous levels, current valuations may create an attractive entry point for the long term investor."

We have a question and it is a legitimate one.  CAN AN ETF LEGALLY HAVE A NEGATIVE FLOAT?  Imagine how many investors will still want to short sell this ETF.

The introduction has noted that the market cap of the Athens Stock Exchange reached a peak of $220 billion in 2007 but has now fallen almost 90% to a market capitalization rate of about $28 billion as of the end of November.

The index is composed of the 20 top stocks listed on the Athens Stock Exchange. Its top three holdings as of December 1, 2011 were National Bank of Greece, Coca-Cola HBC, and Greek Organisation of Football Prognostics SA.

At best, this ETF's listed stock ticker could have been "CRUD."  It could have even been given another four-letter ticker starting with "SH" but that would have been too obvious.  And to imagine, we were preparing to offer $100.00 as the starting bid for the island of Santorini.

Imagine this for irony.  The worst performers generally turn out to be the best performers during a recovery.  If Europe somehow manages to get its act together and if the Greek haircuts and austerity measures somehow actually all go through, it is possible that this Greek ETF could be among the best performers outside of the leveraged ETF products.

JON C. OGG

http://247wallst.com/2011/12/08/a-greek-etf-launch-no-joke-even-if-it-should-be-nbg-cch-grek/#ixzz1g9LJXrps
My word of advice: "Trade what you see, not what you believe."

Against the Standard Way of Thinking.

egp

Yanni's ETF: Greece ETF Not Bad In First Trading Day

Thank goodness there's finally an ETF for Greek music star Yanni. Kidding aside, Thursday marked the debut of the first Greece-specific ETF, the Global X FTSE Greece 20 ETF (NYSE: GREK [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]). Looking at the Yahoo Finance data, GREK's first day of trading wasn't all that bad.
The ETF opened at $14.80 and closed at $14.76 on volume of 4,250 on a day when international and emerging markets ETFs were under siege. With European policymakers meeting in Brussels to discuss options for ridding the Euro Zone of its sovereign debt woes, it would have been fair to expect GREK to be under pressure, but overall, the debut was solid, maybe even a tad boring and that's a bad thing when it comes to Greece these days.
With an expense ratio of 0.69%, the Global X FTSE Greece 20 ETF is home to the 20 largest Athens-listed stocks. National Bank of Greece (NYSE: NBG), Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling and the Greek Organization of Football Prognostics are GREK's top-three holdings, combing for roughly 39% of the ETF's weight.
"Global X Funds strives to facilitate access to foreign markets. Whether bullish or bearish, this new ETF allows investors to take a viewpoint on the recent news coming out of Greece," said Bruno del Ama, chief executive officer of Global X Funds, in a statement.
As Global X notes, citing Bloomberg, since reaching a peak market capitalization of over $220 billion in 2007, the market cap of the Athens Stock Exchange has fallen nearly 90% to under $28 billion as of November 2011. So perhaps there's value in Greek stocks.
Financials account for 35% of GREK's sector weight while consumer discretionary (18.4%) and consumer staples (12.66%) are the only other sectors receiving double-digit allocations. Industrials, telecom, energy, utilities and materials are also represented in the new ETF.

The utility of GREK may lie in the fact that patient investors could be willing to bet things can only get better for Greek equities, but those investors may find stock-picking among Athens-listed fare too daunting. GREK certainly solves that problem.

Bull case: Simpy put, investors start believing there are legitimate value opportunities with Greek stocks.

Bear case: Simply put, things do get worse for Greek stocks, perhaps on the back of a sovereign debt default or departure from the euro.

http://www.benzinga.com/markets/bonds/11/12/2190080/yannis-etf-greece-etf-not-bad-in-first-trading-day

egp

Πραγματοποιήθηκε σήμερα, 06 Φεβρουαρίου 2012 στο Χρηματιστήριο Αθηνών, εκδήλωση με την ευκαιρία της εισαγωγής του GREK του πρώτου ETF που εισήχθη σε αγορά του εξωτερικού (στο Χρηματιστήριο της Νέας Υόρκης) και παρακολουθεί μετοχές του Ελληνικού Χρηματιστηρίου.

Ο Διευθύνων Σύμβουλος της Global X Funds, της εκδότριας εταιρίας του GREK κ. Bruno del Ama, κήρυξε την έναρξη της διαπραγμάτευσης, χτυπώντας το παραδοσιακό «καμπανάκι».

Η διαπραγμάτευση του GREK στο NYSE ξεκίνησε στις 8 Δεκεμβρίου 2011. Το GREK είναι συνδεδεμένο με τον δείκτη FTSE/ATHEX 20 Capped Index, έναν δείκτη που αποτελείται από τις 20 μεγαλύτερες σε κεφαλαιοποίηση εταιρίες που διαπραγματεύονται στο ελληνικό χρηματιστήριο. Η κατάταξη των εταιριών γίνεται κατά απόλυτη κεφαλαιοποίηση και προσφέρει στους επενδυτές έναν κατανοητό και διαφανή τρόπο μέτρησης των επιδόσεων των εταιριών αυτών.

Στη εκδήλωση παρέστησαν οι κ.κ. Ξενοφών Αυλωνίτης, Αντιπρόεδρος της Επιτροπής Κεφαλαιαγοράς, Παναγιώτης Δράκος, Πρόεδρος της Διοικούσας και της Εκτελεστικής Επιτροπής της ΕΝΕΙΣΕΤ, Κίμων Βολίκας, Πρόεδρος της Ένωσης Θεσμικών Επενδυτών Νικόλαος Τεσσαρομάτης, Δ/νων Σύμβουλος της Εταιρίας Διαχείρισης Επενδυτικών Κεφαλαίων Ταμείων Ασφάλισης καθώς και εκπρόσωποι άλλων φορέων της ελληνικής Κεφαλαιαγοράς.
Ο Πρόεδρος του Χρηματιστηρίου Αθηνών, κύριος Σωκράτης Λαζαρίδης, σε σύντομο χαιρετισμό κατά τη διάρκεια της εκδήλωσης είπε μεταξύ άλλων: "Η εισαγωγή του GREK στο Χρηματιστήριο της Νέας Υόρκης διευρύνει τις δυνατότητες πρόσβασης των επενδυτών στη χώρα μας κάτι που είναι ανυπολόγιστης αξίας σε αυτή την δύσκολη οικονομική συγκυρία.

Για μας είναι ιδιαίτερα σημαντικό να ισχυροποιούμε συνεχώς έμμεσα ή άμεσα το δίκτυο πρόσβασης στην Ελληνική Κεφαλαιαγορά για τους επενδυτές του εξωτερικού, γιατί έχουμε την πεποίθηση ότι η ανάπτυξη της ελληνικής οικονομίας μπορεί να επιταχυνθεί σημαντικά με την εισροή κεφαλαίων μέσω της Χρηματιστηριακής μας Αγοράς".

Ο κύριος Bruno del Ama, Διευθύνων Σύμβουλος Global X δήλωσε με αφορμή τη σημερινή εκδήλωση : "Η Ελλάδα είναι μια χώρα που βρίσκεται στο επίκεντρο των διεθνών ΜΜΕ αυτήν την περίοδο. Εμείς από την πλευρά μας έχουμε σαν στόχο να διευκολύνουμε την πρόσβαση των επενδυτών, προσφέροντας ένα προϊόν εκεί που υπάρχουν επενδυτικές ευκαιρίες."

Υπενθυμίζεται ότι η Global X, έχει έδρα τη Νέα Υόρκη και εξειδικεύεται στην έκδοση και παροχή ETFs διευκολύνοντας έτσι την πρόσβαση σε νέα προϊόντα και ευκαιρίες στην παγκόσμια αγορά στο επενδυτικό κοινό. Διαχειρίζεται κεφάλαια περίπου 1.4 δις δολάρια και έχει πάνω από 100.000 επενδυτές από περισσότερες από 100 χώρες.
http://www.euro2day.gr/news/market/123/articles/678748/Article.aspx

και η απόδοση από την έναρξη διαπραγμάτευσης έως σήμερα

Global X FTSE Greece 20 ETF 18.23 +0.54 (+3.05%)
                                               Range   17.98 - 18.49
                                               52 week   12.70 - 19.41
                                               Open   18.20
                                               Vol.   9,516.00
                                               Mkt cap   1.77M

Stephanos

Breakout! Διάσπαση υψηλού 4 μηνών.

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

GREK - Global X FTSE Greece 20 ETF
0.59 (+4.29%)

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Αγαπητά μέλη, το 'ελληνικό' ETF καταγράφει 100% άνοδο από τα χαμηλά Ιουνίου.

Stephanos

Stephanos

Οι τιμές θα πρέπει τώρα να γεμίσουν ένα μεγάλο χάσμα.

Stephanos

Stephanos

Global X FTSE Greece 20 ETF (GREK)

One-month change: +17.3% vs. +3.2% for iShares MSCI EAFE (EFA), tracking foreign developed markets.

2012 change: +29.07% vs. +17.3% for EFA.

Relative Strength Rating: 90.

Accumulation-Distribution Rating: B.

The Greek tragedy could turn into a fairy tale for investors. GREK is also a value play. It trades at a P-E ratio of about 9 vs. 11.7 for European stocks. It sports a 0.77 P/B; 0.34 P/S and 2.81 P/CF. European stocks have a 1.35 P/B, 0.81 P/S and 4 P/CF.

http://news.investors.com/investing-etfs/010813-639696-solar-energy-vietnam-greece-china-stock-market.htm

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Πολύ καλή η τεχνική συμπεριφορά του ελληνικού ETF. Θα έλεγα πως μερικές φορές συμπεριφέρεται καλύτερα ακόμη και από τον ΓΔ του Χ.Α.

Stephanos

Stephanos

Φαίνεται να μην απέχουμε πολύ από την καταγραφή νέου ιστορικού υψηλού από την εποχή της εισόδου του ETF στην αγορά.

Stephanos

Quote from: Stephanos on May 10, 2013, 01:59:44
Φαίνεται να μην απέχουμε πολύ από την καταγραφή νέου ιστορικού υψηλού από την εποχή της εισόδου του ETF στην αγορά.

vam

Μια παράθεση στο ίδιο γράφημα με το ΓΔ ή το FTSE 20 μήπως μας έδειχνε αν είναι leading ή trailing το ETF;

Stephanos

Quote from: vam on May 17, 2013, 12:42:46
Μια παράθεση στο ίδιο γράφημα με το ΓΔ ή το FTSE 20 μήπως μας έδειχνε αν είναι leading ή trailing το ETF;

Δεν βλέπω κάποια σημαντική διαφοροποίηση τόσο στην κίνηση όσο και στα σημεία διασπάσεων.

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Stephanos

Το καθοδικό χάσμα έχει γεμίσει.

Stephanos

Bearish 'Shooting Star'
A type of candlestick formation that results when a security's price, at some point during the day, advances well above the opening price but closes lower than the opening price.

In order for a candlestick to be considered a shooting star, the formation must be on an upward or bullish trend. Furthermore, the distance between the highest price for the day and the opening price must be more than twice as large as the shooting star's body. Finally, the distance between the lowest price for the day and the closing price must be very small or nonexistent.

[attachimg=1]

Stephanos

Το ελληνικό ETF δεν ακολούθησε την χθεσινή κίνηση του ΓΔ. Θα το παρακολουθήσουμε με ενδιαφέρον σήμερα.

Stephanos

Stephanos